Full Job Description
Position: Director of Mountain Operations
Department: Mountain Operations
Type: Full-Time | Year-Round
Wage: $60,000-$75,000 DOE
The Director of Mountain Operations provides oversight and leadership in all mountain operations departments, including ski patrol, lift maintenance, lift operations, grooming, snowmaking, terrain parks, equipment maintenance, and summer trail crew.
- Partner with the General Managers as a member of the Snowriver Leadership Team to align all mountain operations with the vision for and goals of the company.
- Develop leaders within the mountain operations organization to improve leadership within current roles and to prepare for increased responsibility and succession
- Directly establish goals, development plans and continual performance evaluations for direct reports and oversee these processes for all mountain operations staff.
- Lead the mountain operations efforts to improve employee safety programs and practices with a goal of eliminating worker’s compensation incidents
- Develop, implement and manage labor, operational and capital project budgets for the mountain operations departments.
- Build strong, positive relationships with key stakeholders outside of direct reports; including local municipalities, utility companies, USFS and other regulatory agencies
- Develop and maintain subject matter expert status of all mountain operations functions, proactive industry trends and potential impacts on and opportunities for Snowriver Mountain Resort.
- Update and submittal of winter operating plans, including construction plans, to the USFS
- Ensure company records are updated and necessary permits are in place for capital projects and continued operations
- Increase operational efficiency and effectiveness through on-going intra- and inter-departmental communication and cooperation
- Prioritize and adapt in a constantly changing business and environmental setting
Skills and Knowledge Requirements
- Bachelor's degree (B.A.) from four-year college or university; or eight to ten years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 10+ years of progressive experience in the ski industry relating to lift operations, snowmaking, equipment maintenance, lift maintenance, grooming, and/or mountain safety.
- 5+ years in Senior Leadership managing multiple departments
- Extensive knowledge of ANSI B.77 Standard for Passenger Ropeways with specific experience related to detachable chairlifts.
- Effective written & verbal communication skills with the ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Proven leadership skills in the areas of staff development, organization, and collaboration.
- Reading and writing work-related documents in English. Ability to read and understand technical manuals, diagrams and instructions.
- Proficiency in Microsoft 365 with ability to learn and implement new computer programs.
- Ability to lead people, manage time, and accomplish multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of supervisors, clients, guests, and the general public.
- Must possess or obtain a valid State of Michigan Class D Driver License.
- Graduate of accredited Ski Area Management Program.
- Intermediate or Advanced skiing/riding ability
- Experience with OSHA compliance as well as extensive mountain safety experience.
- General Construction and Large-Scale Project Management experience.
- Must be able to work extended hours outdoors in adverse weather conditions, including extreme cold and heat.
- Must have the ability to walk, hike, stand, climb and balance on variable, uneven terrain.
- Ability to safely operate snowmobiles and all-terrain vehicles on difficult uneven terrain.
- Lifting, carrying, and pushing up to 25 lbs. regularly, 30-50 lbs. frequently, and up to 75 lbs. occasionally.
- Ability to workdays, evenings, overnights, weekends, and holidays as business needs dictate.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $60,000.00 - $75,000.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee discount
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Vision insurance
- Evening shift
- Monday to Friday
- Night shift
- Weekend availability
- Maintenance: 1 year (Preferred)
- Driver's License (Preferred)
Work Location: One location